Welcome to the Syntasa Visualization Tool Getting Started Guide! Our aim is to provide you with a comprehensive understanding of the steps involved in building a dashboard in Syntasa.
To access the Dashboards section of Syntasa, simply click on the triple stacked bars on the top-left and select “Dashboards” under the Platform section. This will lead you to the Dashboards screen. From there, click on the pie chart icon in the left navigation menu and follow the steps below:
Step 1 – Create Metadata (If Necessary)
If the metadata has not already been created, you'll need to do so. The metadata helps define the location, structure, and connection type of the dataset table.
To create metadata:
- Click on "Metadata" from the left-hand menu.
- Click on "Athena" and expand the drop-down to view the available databases.
- Click on a database name to view available tables.
- Check the box next to the desired table to explore and drag into the metadata column to the right.
- Click on the disc icon and select the Save As option, this will open a File Browser window.
- Select a destination or create a new folder to save and name the metadata.
- Click on the Save Metadata button at the bottom of the screen.
- The metadata is now available for use in report or dashboard creation.
Step 2 – Create Report
Before creating a dashboard, you'll need to create one or more reports using metadata.
To create a report:
- Click on "File Browser" at the bottom of the screen and locate the Metadata you created or want to use.
- Right-click the Metadata and select "Use this metadata".
- Drag and drop the fields you want to include in the report.
- Select the type of visualization you want to use for the report such as a chart, table, or graph.
- Customize the report by applying filters, sorting options, and formatting.
- Save the report in an available Reports folder
Step 3 – Create Dashboard
After creating one or more reports, you can create a dashboard by using the Dashboard Designer feature to add your reports, filters, context, and layout.
To create a dashboard:
- Click on "Dashboard Designer" from the left-hand menu to create a new dashboard.
- Select the "Reports" menu item along the left.
- Drag and drop the reports you want to include in the dashboard.
- Arrange the reports on the dashboard by resizing and repositioning them as desired.
- Add a title and description to the dashboard.
- Save the dashboard to an available Dashboards folder.
Step 5 – Publishing a Dashboard
You can share your interactive dashboard with both Syntasa and non-Syntasa users. You also have the option to make the share expire and create a link or embed it on a web page.
To publish your dashboard:
- Click on "Save Dashboard" to ensure the changes to the dashboard are saved.
- Click on "Share Dashboard" link at the top-right of the screen to share the dashboard with others.
- Choose how you want to share the dashboard such as by embedding it in a web page, sharing a link, or exporting it as a PDF.
- Choose if you want the link to expire.
If the dashboard needs to have Dashboard Object created in Syntasa please use the Create Dashboard documentation.
We hope this guide has been helpful in getting started with dashboarding in Syntasa. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to our support team